Aug
8

Hope for Homosexuals

Home > Pastor's Page > Hope for Homosexuals

It’s Not All In The Genes

A pregnant woman from Canada gets in a car accident and falls into a real deep coma. Asleep for nearly six months, when she awakens she’s no longer pregnant and frantically asks the doctor about her baby.  The physician replies, “Ma’am you had twins, a boy and a girl! Your brother from America came in and named them.”  The woman thinks to herself, “No, not my brother…he’s an idiot!” She asks the doctor, “What’s the girl’s name?”  “Denise.”   “Wow, that’s not bad, I rather like it!  And what’s the boy’s name?”  “Denephew.”

The foundation upon which the gay rights movement rests can be summed up in one statement, “I didn’t choose to be gay, I was born this way.”  (And therefore, just like a person can’t change the colour of their skin, a homosexual cannot change their sexual orientation.)  In both cases, it’s said to be all in the genes.  But the book, My Genes Made Me Do It, A Scientific Look At Sexual Orientation is challenging the above assertion.  Written by biochemist Dr. Neil Whitehead – he and his staff have taken the over 10,000 scientific papers published  over the last 20 years on genes and sexual orientation  – and separated them into what is definitely conclusive from what is mere speculation.  He then, in easy-to-understand language, gives the results of the findings.  Here are the three major

● Same – All people are basically the same.  Whether you are (red, yellow, black, or white) we all share 99.9% of the same genes.  But that remaining 0.1% is enough to account for our group differences.

● Size – No behavioral gene has ever been found.  And if such was discovered, it would need to be a lot more than just one gene to cause such a dominate behavior, far greater than the only space available in the 0.1%.

● Small – Where some do believe they’ve located a particular group of behavioral genes within the 0.1%, these are found to be quite weak (being small in size and number) and easily controlled by the person.

Now, regarding genes and sexual orientation, identical twins are perhaps the best example of the above for they have the same exact genes, including the 0.1%.  Yet when it comes to one of the most powerful human behaviors, sexual drive; in almost nine out of ten cases, when one identical twin adopts the homosexual lifestyle, the other identical twin does not.  How can this be when identical twins are born with the same exact genes (i.e. if one has the “gay gene” so must the other).  The answer is obvious, no such gene exists.

Perhaps when identical twins do both become homosexuals, they do so because their parents are no longer married – children of divorce are twice as likely to become gay.  Or maybe, when one identical twin becomes a homosexual and the other doesn’t, it is because the gay one moved out and the straight one remained at  home – city youth are much more likely to be gay than are country youth.

The Bible is very clear on this matter, there is no such thing as a “gay gene”.  Jesus said in Mark 10:6-9,

But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.  For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; and they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.  What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

What is being taught here is that since God first made Adam and Eve, every child conceived in the womb (including up to this very day) is made by the Lord to be either a male (with a strong sexual attraction for women) or a female (with a strong sexual attraction for men).  In other words, if something goes wrong with an individual’s sexual choice, it was not God -  He only makes heterosexuals, not homosexuals.

Now you may not think so, but all of the above is good news.  It means a deviant sexual choice is not set in stone, that change can occur.  And for those who are experiencing unwanted same-sex attractions, there is a state-of-the-art website that can be gone to for assistance (with good advice given and clear directions provided to helpful ministries, including a number of which are conservative in doctrine and practice).

www.samesexattraction.org

The bottom line?  The truth is, there are far more ex-gays than there are gays.  (According to Dr. Whitehead, for every 20 people who go into the gay lifestyle, in one form or another, 17 come back out.) And this is why I say, there is hope for the homosexual.